The holiday season is right around the corner. If you’re like many Americans, you’ll probably be traveling across the country to be with your loved ones during this wonderful time of the year. The average family can easily spend thousands of dollars traveling to and from their holiday destinations. This year you don’t have to!
Here’s a list of 6 Easy Ways you can save money traveling this holiday season.
1. Always negotiate hotel room prices. One of the best kept secrets in the travel business is that hotel rooms are highly negotiable. If a room isn’t used, that’s money the hotel room isn’t making. Take advantage of this fact by asking for a deal if you stay in a hotel. Don’t take no for an answer!
2. Stay with friends or family. You can save a ton of money if you can sleep at your family or friend’s house. Tell them you’ll bring a sleeping bag so you won’t displace anyone. Offer to pay to help with the food costs while you’re staying there.
3. When flying, bring your own snacks and EMPTY water bottle. Food at the airport is marked up dramatically. $2 for a doughnut? You gotta be kidding me! Buy some snacks and pack them in your bag. Bottled water at airports is super expensive, so bring an empty water bottle. As soon as you get past security, fill up your bottle at the water fountain.
4. If you’re driving, buy snacks at grocery stores. Instead of stopping at convenience stores where items are marked up, drive a little further into town and find a grocery store. You can find the same things there for cheaper.
5. Be flexible. You never know when opportunities will come up to save money when traveling. If there’s an offer for a travel voucher if you take a later flight, go for it!
6. Christmas shop your way to your holiday destination. If you have a mileage reward credit card, do your Christmas shopping with it and cash in the miles to buy your ticket to your holiday destination. Remember to bring the gifts you bought to your family!
Brett McKay is the author of The Frugal Law Student. Check it out for daily money saving tips!