Collections Update #2

by Doug Fuller on 04/11/08

I’ve just returned from my monthly visit to AmSher.  I’m very impressed with how quickly they have come up to speed on working Prosper accounts.  With three business days left in the month, we have already achieved our second best month ever in terms of total dollars collected, dollars collected per collection account and percent cured.  For example, through 3/26, we had collected $50.58 per collection account.  Those who were at Prosper Days may remember that the record was set in January at $52.27.  My expectation is that we should have a record setting month in at least two of the three metrics.

I’m even more encouraged in that I am confident that next month will be better than this month.  We’re still working through some system interface issues, but have most of the kinks worked out.  We did find that implementing two commission structures for AmSher would require significant system work on our end.  As such, we will be handling the difference in commissions by doing periodic refunds to lenders.  The first refund should be posted by the end of April.

On the legal test, the vast majority of the cases have been sent to the courts.  Since this is a new asset class, the law firm did not have the pleadings set up in their automation system and are having to create each complaint manually.  Of the 66 accounts, there are five cases still in the production stage.  Additionally, there are four disputes that arose in the last three weeks which we have to answer before filing suit.  In next month’s update, I’ll have new figures on the number on whom we’ve obtained service — and hoping the first flood of post filing payments.

We will be doing another debt sale in the future.  We are waiting to see if AmSher can shake some money out of the older accounts.  While not a large number, AmSher has secured payments from 12 accounts that were at 121+ days in approximately six weeks.  This compares with an average of 2.2 payments per month previously.  A second reason for waiting is the current large amount of “inventory” in the debt market.  Basically the market is swamped by the large issuers scrambling to make quarter end numbers.

Doug Fuller is the Vice President of Operations at Prosper

Mike (printans) | April 11th, 2008 at 9:25 am

Thanks for the update Doug. I knew we had to be getting close to a sale of the 4+ers. If they can turn it around and get payment I’ll hang loose for a little bit longer.
I really appreciate the information about AmSher. Some of the talk on the forum has made me wonder, however there’s just not enough data on them yet.
Did I say thank you for the update enough? Thanks!

Mike | April 11th, 2008 at 10:13 am

Thanks for posting, Doug

Yankeefan | April 11th, 2008 at 1:24 pm

Thanks for the update, Doug. I have seen few results from AMSHER on my late loans, so it’s good to hear that the general returns are better, and maybe there’s hope for some of mine yet.

ChrisFS | April 11th, 2008 at 3:44 pm

Thanks for the update Doug. It’s much appreciated.
I’m looking forward to next month’s update. The lawsuit project is an interesting thing to watch.
There’s been some discussion on the forums as to whether Amsher deserves the higher fee that it is getting. The months ahead will be interesting in deed.

Eric | April 11th, 2008 at 5:42 pm

Thanks for the update! It’s good to hear that you seem to be having some success on both fronts (improving collections and the legal test).

Adits Bakos | April 12th, 2008 at 2:55 am

Repairing your credit can be easy, rewarding and free. Dont get scammed by credit repair companies, what you can do for the price of lunch yourself, some of these companies will take for thousands. Theres little need to be intimidated or scared. It is much more simple that you may think. Many people are simply intimidated at the thought of repairing their own credit simply because they do not know where to start or where to go or how to go about it. The entire process is easy at credittrained.com, and it only costs about 30 bucks.

fleckben | April 14th, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Thanks for the update, it’s a welcome and noticed improvement both in collection activities, and transparencies. Thanks! (I actually got my first Amsher collection today, previous 1 month late)

extracredit | May 13th, 2008 at 2:45 pm

So, any word on the lawsuits? Are you allowed to give out that info? After hearing such a great idea, I am very enthusiastic. Will have much meaning for me and other investors.

Thank you for all your excellent efforts.

RateLadder | May 15th, 2008 at 9:46 am

@extracredit

Here is the latest update on the legal test…

extracredit | May 15th, 2008 at 2:22 pm

what is “pushing for service?”

Send them to me, I will serve them.

Trackbacks